AD




Search This Blog

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Once Upon a Time I Designed for Merzci Pasalubong Treats

by George Pontino Jr.

If you are a balikbayan or a frequent traveler to Bacolod, chances are you've come face to face with some food or Pasalubong packaging with my fancy drawings and designs on it. 
Well, I'm talking about my personal story of how I witnessed a brand come to fruition and somehow, how I became a part of its growth and history.  That brand is Merzci Pasalubong Treats and it was developed and owned by CMS and Sons based in Hervias, Bacolod City. At first, it started as a bakery and restaurant until it decided, it's gonna enter the pasalubong market.
Zoom back in early 2000, I had a call from CMS and Sons CEO Jonathan Lo. He was looking for a designer to update his company's restaurant and bakery business. Turned out, a common friend of ours recommended me to him. This event led to a series of fortunate events and it opened a new door of design opportunities for me. Read on...


Otap and Squid Rings product packaging illustrated and designed by the author

As a freelance graphic designer, I was doing design services for different clients. I was designing brochures, maps, invitations for events, giant billboards and even do some photography sessions. One of my steady clients those days was Ayala Land, Inc. which gave me opportunities to interpret the real state industry in different promotional media and marketing materials. Additionally, I did some projects in the clothing/fashion, mall and health industry which consisted of brand recall materials to magazines to store bags to special event visual exhibits. And meeting Mr. Lo and accepting Merzci to be part of my design turf was indeed a great addition to my growing portfolio. Plus though Merzci, I got a chance to try my hands on redefining the design trends in the local food industry.



Bloggers from different provinces inside the Merczi Tour Bus. After a tour in Silay, the bloggers were given some free stuff in one of Merzci's Pasalubong branches. 
Shown are the author's design for Cebu Mango Chips (top right) and Cebu Dried Mangoes (left) 

During those days, Merzci was still spelled Merci (meaning "thanks" in French).  The letter z was added later on its branding so the company can veer away from other brands that bears the same name as the company started to spread out its reach to the international market. My first task was to design some moving advertising signages for the company's trucks. Then I also did some food photography for the menu and outdoor signages for the opening of its Cadiz and Victorias bakery/restaurant branches.
Eventually in 2005, CMS and Sons, through the aggressive vision of its CEO, began to expand and it started its pasalubong business venture Merzci Pasalubong Treats. This time I was hired again to do some packaging, giant billboards and store wallpapers and signages. It was great to be part of the company's history though it was in still its infancy. In span of two years, I was witness to its opening of branches in Singcang, Lopue's Mandalagan, and SM Mall. 

Closer look of the author's design for Cebu Dried Mangoes and 
an advertising designed for a local magazine 
(shown are  some of the brand's early endorsers)

ADVERTISING



Mr. Jonathan Lo challenged me to design something that is Pinoy in style and has that local Pasalubong feel but contemporary as a whole. So I looked up to my childhood idol Larry Alcala whose cartoon drawings on biscuit cans were the popular pasalubong treats in the 80s. He greatly influence me to embrace the world of illustrating comics and cartoons in my younger years. With this, I started to develop my own style of art and I applied them for Merzci's product packaging...trendy yet has the heart of Filipino pasalubong cultural heritage. I drew cartoon images that tell a story about the product and then I incorporated colors of fiesta and local landmarks. Indeed, it was my direct honor for my hero Larry Alcala*, a native of Albay, who lived and retired in Bacolod in his later years until his death in 2002 at the Riverside Medical Center, a hospital in Bacolod. While writing this blog piece on October 24, news came out that the late Larry "Larry" Alcala was inducted posthumously in the Order of National Artist (Visual Arts). ONA is the highest Philippine honor bestowed on practitioners of the Western arts. What a coincidence! 


The author's design for a giant billboard that was installed along Lacson St. 
in Mandalangan for more than a year.


I still look back how Mr. Lo appreciated my works so much to the point he asked me to leave a signature on each product packaging I illustrated an design. (yes, my full name as an artist). 
When you are a designer during a time when computer speed were not that too fast, internet were not yet fiber optics, no touchscreen smartphones yet, no CoWorking Space yet and there was no Dropbox and WeTransfer to transfer heavy files to the giant billboard printer in Manila. You can complain specially when deadline comes and the large file let your computer hang and crash big time. However, in the end, these challenges provides new experiences, techniques and confidence that could last a lifetime. As from the client side, Mr. Lo taught me the value of hardwork, leadership and how to deal with one's self under pressure. He opened my eyes more on the real  world's management and marketing ways even though I'm a holder of business marketing and business management diplomas. 



Circa 2006 wallpaper illustrations designed by the author that was used in 
Lopue's Mandalagan branch (left) and in Singcang Branch (right)


I'm so thankful for the experiences with him and Merzci specially now, being a designer for 12 years in the Middle East and Africa's top media conglomerate, founded by the King Salman's son, I face a lot of challenges when designing stuff that has writings in Arabic and with clients that has a different view on designs.  Indeed, I'm still proud to consider Merzci as one of my great stepping stones "in the real world" of my design career.    
Each time I go home for vacation, I never fail to bring a yellow box with me back to Saudi Arabia. Of course, on it are some of Merzci food fare which carry my designs to the delight of my fellow Saudi-based Pinoy friends who hails from different provinces.


The company supports local tourism activities
 and this paved a way to the Merzci shuttle bus.

Where can you find Merzci Stores? If you are a balikbayan or a visitor, here are maps for you to find Merzci Pasalubong Stores. However, you may also find most of Merzci Pasalubong Treats in malls, town and city markets in the North Negros like in Manapla, Victorias and Cadiz. At the Silay-Bacolod International Airport, you can also purchase a box or two before entering the departure area at the 2nd floor level just beside the X-ray machines. Some grocery stores and convenience stores also carry Merzci delicacies in their shelves. (SEE MAPS BELOW)

MORE STORIES ABOUT NEGROS OCCIDENTAL (BACOLOD)


Capture Nature: Revisiting Don Salvador Benedicto's Sceneries and Fresh Air

Traveling to Bacolod? Here are 5 Gastro Delights and 3 Travel Gear Guide part 1

OctoberFest Bacolod Style: MassKara Festival Guide 






Merzci Pasalubong SMX (North Wing)





Merzci Pasalubong Mandalagan Branch



Merzci Pasalubong Singcang Branch 




ADVERTISING



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Travel Bags Recommended by Amazon

Follow Shutter Traveler

Beyond Tomb Raider: What Happens When the Sun Rises at Angkor Wat?

The early bird catches the worm. It's true when you apply it with your photography session at Cambodia's most famous landmark t...